The Department of Defense provides reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities, as long as you meet the job qualifications. Some of the accommodations provided may include:
- Assistive technology for telephone use
- Hardware and software that make computers accessible if you have vision impairments or difficulty using your hands
- Sign language interpreters or readers
- Training and other written materials in an alternative formats (e.g., Braille, audio tape, computer disk)
- Physical changes, such as installing a ramp or modifying a workspace
The Department of Defense Selective Placement Coordinators can also assist in helping to recruit, hire and accommodate Veterans with disabilities.
CAP serves both the civilian and military workforces within DOD. By providing assistive technology and services free of charge to our DOD customers, CAP helps the DOD make their work environments more accessible to people with hearing, visual, dexterity, cognitive, and communication impairments.
CAP works closely with DOD to make a positive impact on the lives of Individuals with Disabilities by:
- Buying accommodations to make computer and telecommunications systems accessible to employees with disabilities, as required by public laws.
- Funding sign language interpreters, readers, and personal assistants for employees attending training lasting two days or more.
- Providing expertise in solving accessibility problems through the use of software, hardware, and other assistive technology.
- Conducting needs assessments to identify the most appropriate solution for each individual requesting an accommodation and assisting with the accommodation process.
- Provide guidance on creating an accessible computer and telecommunication environment within your agency.
- Assisting with the recruitment, placement, promotion, and retention of people with disabilities.
For additional information regarding civilian careers with the Department of Defense, please call one of our representatives at 1-888-363-4872 or join our Live Chat sessions Tuesdays and Thursdays between 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
The Department of Defense is an Equal Opportunity Employer.