INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES
The Department of Defense (DOD) is proud to offer employment opportunities for Individuals with Disabilities (IwD). As the Nation's largest employer, DOD employs thousands of workers with disabilities. DOD has long been a leader in recognizing the strengths and value IwD bring into the workforce and is committed to providing every person opportunities for a meaningful career. As civilians in DOD, IwD play an important role in the defense of our Nation and in helping support our men and women in the military.
Special hiring authorities are in place to assist Individuals with Disabilities. More information and additional resources are available at the following web sites:
- Hiring Authorties Available for People with Disabilities
- Office of Disability Employment Programs (ODEP)
- Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) for Students with Disabilities
- DFAS Careers for Americans with Disabilities (DCAD)
CAP serves both the civilian and military workforces within DOD. By providing assistive technology and services free of charge to our DOD customers, CAP helps the DOD make their work environments more accessible to people with hearing, visual, dexterity, cognitive, and communication impairments.
CAP works closely with DOD to make a positive impact on the lives of Individuals with Disabilities by:
- Buying accommodations to make computer and telecommunications systems accessible to employees with disabilities, as required by public laws.
- Funding sign language interpreters, readers, and personal assistants for employees attending training lasting two days or more.
- Providing expertise in solving accessibility problems through the use of software, hardware, and other assistive technology.
- Conducting needs assessments to identify the most appropriate solution for each individual requesting an accommodation and assisting with the accommodation process.
- Provide guidance on creating an accessible computer and telecommunication environment within your agency.
- Assisting with the recruitment, placement, promotion, and retention of people with disabilities.
For additional information regarding civilian careers with the Department of Defense, please call one of our representatives at 1-888-363-4872 or join our Live Chat sessions Tuesdays and Thursdays between 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.EST.